Monday, November 26, 2012

Interesting Veteran Facts that May Shock You


I was reading one of my fellow blogger's site at Bouhammer's Afghan and Military Blog and wanted to share these very alarming facts about Veterans. Many of these facts that I did not even know about as being a Veteran too, I was shocked. I would like you to take the time to read over some of these facts and you might just be shocked as well.




I was very alarmed by the statistics here as I am sure you are. A countless number of Veterans who return from combat zones, whether it be Vietnam, Iraq or Afghanistan, no matter what will feel left out and as if they can only relate to other soldiers. Soldiers returning from those eras will go through a phase that might not be the best in anyone's mind. Some may resort to drinking heavily, drugs, depression and even suicide as the graphic shows that 18 Veterans commit suicide a day. I have been in almost all the situations above and know first-hand what it's like. Some will fall into a slump that could take a year to adjust and others will find that they cannot adjust to what civilians will call their "normal" everyday life.

If you have never thanked a Veteran; do it, If you have never volunteered at a Veterans Hospital; do it, If you have never donated the slightest amount of money to a Veterans organization; do it. If you cannot donate money because your a broke college student, the first and best thing is a donation of your time. You could spend it helping out or even talking to Veterans at the Veterans Hospital. Wait a minute... James A. Haley, Veterans Hospital is like 2-5 minutes from USF. You might be shocked that a little bit of your time, will last a life-time in a Veterans' eyes. I would like to thank Bouhammer's Afghan and Military Blog and thank everyone who supports our Vets.


5 comments:

  1. This is extremely shocking to me. It is extremely sad to see most of the statistics and the one that hit home with me is the 18 veterans a day committing suicide. My family is full of men and women who have served and are serving and it's scary to watch as young men and women are coming home from deployments over seas and to see the internal struggles. Having a boyfriend in Iraq right now and being here watching friends and people I consider family come home after serving and to watch the downfall of some is a scary reminder of the life they are giving for our country. I not only thank soldiers but my heart honestly goes out to them. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post was insanely cool. Its the first post that I have read this semester that had an actual informative flyer as the blog post. I thought it was really creative and a nice break from the formal blog posts we normally see. I had no idea there were that many veterans out there and thanks to your blog I can give the topic a little more thought. Kudos and God Bless! great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a wake up call! I had no idea that compared to to other wars, the Vietnam involved such a a high number of veterans. One of the other stats that completely shocked me was the fact that so many veterans are not citizens of the U.S. This is alarming to me since the government focuses so much on deploying illegal citizens back to where they came from, however they allow non citizens to fight in war. Thats a bit disturbing to me. Thank you for sharing this post with us, I can't wait to pass on some of the things I've learned reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post was a real eye opener. I could not believe the rate of daily suicide incidents among veterans was so high. This post brings awareness to an important group of people. I have many friends who have or are serving for our country, and it's hard to see what they go through after coming back from deployment. Sometimes the adjustment isn't so easy for some.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, the stat about how many vets commit suicide on a daily basis was shocking and concerning to me. If PTSD is that serious then this info should be shared with the world. It's sad that people that serve this country are being neglected now.

    ReplyDelete