Monday, October 29, 2012

Guard Units Getting Deployed

This year we have been tremendously lucky from mother nature but to end this hurricane season with the East Coast getting hammered is like no other. Hurricane Sandy, one of the nastiest storms to crash onto the East Coast, closing down transportation and forcing people to evacuate. It is also affecting the elections with President Obama cancelling trips to Florida as well as candidate Mitt Romney cancelling Monday and Tuesday.

With the storm coming in at full-speed ahead, there is another force closing in from the opposite way, more than 1,900 National Guardsman. I was watching the news and surfing the web and came across this story, "Troops mobilized for Hurricane Sandy."

The National Guard and Air Guard has deployed more than a half-dozen states' troops including one from California according to the National Guard Bureau. I was definitely standing by my phone just in case I got the "call." I have to be aware that I could be called up at any notice to assist other states in natural disasters, not just in Florida. I also have to make sure my home is disaster ready, not just for my family's safety but if I have to help other states out, I cannot be in two places at once and the Guard takes precedence.

From fighting fires in the Midwest, training exercises with soldiers in Mongolia, to rescuing and evacuating flood victims all over the United States, the National Guard has done immeasurable things home and across the globe. I have found myself doing many humanitarian missions with the Guard and it has been an eye-opening experience. At first, I will admit, I was annoyed to leave my home for this duty but since realized the people out there need help. It's been very rewarding over the years to have helped out hurricane victims and help people across the world to see the look on their faces. It was just "priceless."

To sum it up, the National Guard does not just do stateside missions; they do international missions too. They are there wherever you need them. Not supermen or superwomen but doctors, lawyers, carpenters and students like myself. I want to let people know, ordinary people, citizen soldiers are making huge impacts, not just in the U.S., but all around the globe.


Reinforcing key areas awaiting the devastation from Hurricane Sandy.


No comments:

Post a Comment